Council Employees

Was your ancestor a teacher, fire officer, police officer or tram driver? This guide will help you to discover how to research council employees in Glasgow and Strathclyde.

 What do I need to know before I start? 

Try to find out:

  • name of the person

  • occupation

  • when they worked for the Council 

​What records can I find in the Mitchell:  Glasgow City Archives?

If you have found an ancestor who worked for the Council, there are various sources that you can use to research their employment:

  • Glasgow Corporation annual lists of mainly white-collar workers, 1899-1975

  • Glasgow Corporation Transport Department superannuation records, 1923-1983

  • Glasgow Corporation Cleansing Department (Northern District) register of employees, 1884-1970.


More promising are the records of professional staff, such as the teachers, fire officers and police officers where more detailed employment records survive.


If your ancestor was a council employee elsewhere in the Strathclyde area, contact the City Archives for information on records that we might hold.

What records can I see online?

There are no records available online.